Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Blogging Brides!


Name: Michelle
Location: Currently in Pensacola, Florida, but this winter I'll be headed west to Los Angeles!
Wedding Date: April 4, 2009

What do you do in real life?

My background is in astrophysics, but I currently work at the Institute of Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC). I know, its a mouthful. I work on a project called Sensory Substitution for Wounded Servicemembers (SSWS). It sounds complicated, but its a simple concept with amazing moments. I have literally had my spelling corrected by a Marine with 2 glass eyes... and no, it wasn't braille, he was reading what wrote.

Favorite Part about Planning your Wedding?

Honestly? Its peoples reactions to the crazy ideas and unique touches we are adding to the wedding. We are a little....odd... at best; and in very different ways. We are really focusing on making the whole shindig represent "us"; both who we are individually, as well as who we are together. This means there is a lot of ironies that make people raise an eyebrow. It just makes me laugh and keeps me VERY thankful that my fiance is as weird as me and loves me in all my bizarre quirks! Happy, and thankful - the two best things for wedding planning!

Least Favorite Part about Planning your Wedding?

Quick disclaimer. I love my family. My parents are great parents and (in my humble opinion) did a damn fine job raising me. That being said, my least favorite part has to do with dealing with my family. Sometimes is just major differences in taste. (My mother is an interior decorator, and I love things with glitter. Need I say more? Just like the preachers boy is normally the terror of the town, the things I like makes my mother cringe and if I never see a polka dot or paisley pattern again it'll be too soon!) Sometimes its a difference of values. (My Dad thinks only serving beer, wine, and champagne is unacceptable! There will be a FULL open bar. ugh.) But the things that get me are when it's like we speak a different language. There are definitely moments when I can very much empathize with Lorelei from Gilmore Girls. Those moments just kill me when I think I'm being clear and she doesn't seem to hear me at all. Its a roller coaster of carefully planning moments that will stamp a memory on their hearts forever, to being in a screaming match over the tiniest things because we can't seem to connect.

What is the best piece of wedding advice you've ever received?

At the end of the day, all you really need is an officiant, a witness, and your fiance; everything else is just for fun - keep it that way.

How fun to have Michelle as our first Blogging Bride! If you'd like to get involved in our Blogging Brides Series, please drop me an email - and be on the lookout next Tuesday for Michelle's story....

1 comment:

Abbie said...

Yay!! I'm excited about the new series.

Blogging tips